Il Giorno di San Valentino

This last week has been one full of incredible things. I almost dont even know where to start. I guess the best place to start is always somewhere.
 
Last Wednesday night, I got a call from my fellow Zone Leader saying that he was on his way to Palermo with him and his companion, and that they had gotten a flat tire. They were coming here because Thursday morning we were flying to Rome for Zone Leader Council. The problem was that they had anti-theft lug nuts on the tires so they couldnt get the tire off. In the end, they had to call a tow truck, and they didt arrive in Palermo till 1:00. I stayed up incase they needed to get ahold of someone, so I didnt get to bed till 1:30 and then I woke up at 6:00. Then, running on 4 1/2 hours of sleep, we got on a plane and flew to Rome where we had a way good ZL council, but unfortunately it also went a little late so I got to bet late also. The next morning, I woke up at 5:30, where the other ZL and I flew back to Palermo. I was exhausted for the next couple of days lol. I am really bad at running on low fuel now.
 
On Churchday, the 4 missionaries here in Palermo (myself included) all decided to go do Mostra. I dont know what it is called in english, but it is where you go to a place with a lot of people and set up a table with stuff to give away and posters. A couple of members came to help us out, and we spent the next 2 1/2 hours talking to people. It was incredible. It was probably the most successful night of doing finding work I have had in my mission. We got a bunch of numbers from people, met a cool 14 year old kid who wants to go up to be an exorcist because he wants to, and I quote, "take Satan down". While I was out talking to people, an evangelist lady and come up and was bashing with my companion and another missionary calling us false and our doctrine all false and everything, and she even brought up the temples. At this point, she started talking about stuff she shouldn't of have been talking about (she apparently knows how to use google and do a little digging) so my companion came up and asked me to send her way. I mustered up all the righteous wrath that I could (you guys know me, I'm basically harmeless ;D) and I sent her packing. Take that! We ended up getting about 10 numbers and names for our 2 1/2 hours of effort. Lets you know how Italia is, especially because that is the best I have ever seen.
 
This are going really interesting here in Palermo. We are still working really hard, and we have been seeing alot of really cool miracles here. The latest miracle is probably the most incredible one.
 
We have an investigator named Gino Briseno. He is from the U.S.A, and is here because he is filthy rich and wants to learn Italian and write a book about the Mafia. He didnt really believe in God. When he thought about God, he thought of a Being/Energy in a different reality, and that we are just probes attached to it so it can gather information about this world. I had my first lesson with him a week ago, in which he had basically reached rock bottom in the fact that he told us that he didnt really even know if he believed in God, and that certainly God doesnt love him. I had pin pointed him out as being a scientific man, so I challenged him to an experiment where every day for a week he would read the Book of Mormon and then pray in some way. We left him a model of how to pray, and then we left also.
 
A week later, we get a call from him asking us to come visit him (which has never happened before) so we quickly set up an appointment and went to go visit him. The difference was night to day. We had a member named Salvo with us, and he speaks english, so we decided to bring him along for the ride. As usual, when we arrive, Gino talked a lot. He is very lonely because he doesnt speak italian yet, and he doesnt have really any friends but us and some other people he had met. He talked about everything, and him and Salvo got acquainted. When we got the lesson started in the end, he told us he had been doing the experiment, and that he had been getting some results. At this point he handed us a paper and told us to read it. My companion started reading it outloud. It had a really interesting story written on it. It concludes like this:
 
"I will open the door for you. You can come in if you want."
The breeze flew in.
Now I'm not alone. Thank God!
 
The way he had described it, he praying one night (which is something he had NEVER done before in his life) and all of a sudden all these crazy feelings that he had never felt before came and hit him. Something pushed him to go and write what he did. He then told us that where before he had viewed God as an energy, now he views him a friend.
 
Salvo, the member with us, had gotten slightly emotional, and then said that that experience was almost exactly like the one he had had 30 years ago in the era of his own baptism. It was perfect that he was there with us.
 
It was incredible. I realise that I am probably going to finish my mission here in Palermo, and one of my biggest desires is to go home seeing miracles. I am going to expect them, especially after what happened with Gino.
 
Grazie per tutto! Siete il mio sostegno.
Vi voglio bene,
Anziano Parry



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


0 comments:

Post a Comment